Monday, December 31, 2012

So long, farewell, good night, 2012.

On this night one year ago I was at a party in New Jersey with my friend Anu, probably thinking 'wow, what a year.' That seems to be the running tag line for all of my end-of-year mental review sessions. The difference is, last year, I was at a crossroads physically and emotionally, the likes of which I'd never known before. I won't go into the details here, as I feel they have been better covered elsewhere. Quite frankly, I don't feel like rehashing it all. However, I do feel it's necessary to point out the obvious. What a difference a year makes!

I have had one of the most roller coaster years of my life, yet it's turned out to be one of the greatest in terms of growth. I approach 2013 with a new-found zest for my life that I haven't felt in years. The last time I can recall feeling this hopeful and committed to myself and my future was in 2006. It's perhaps no coincidence that, as I sit here typing this out, I am listening to one of my favorite albums from that time period. There's an old part of me that would feel as though sitting at home on New Year's Eve would be some sort of calling card of my loser-dom, but not now. Not this year. I can't think of a single place I'd rather be than sitting here, feeling good, reflecting on the things I've seen and felt over the preceding twelve months. It's been a time. And, so, after a year of many 'firsts', we come to this day. I say so long, 2012. It's been real. No, really. It has. And to 2013, I say: bring it. This is the year I turn thirty-five. This will be the year I start a new chapter with more focus and passion than I've ever had. This is the first day of the rest of my life...Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment